Poached black plums in a spicy mint and verbena tea syrup
Prunes pochées dans un sirop épicé de thé à la menthe-verveine
This post has been long overdue…I made those plums in fall, so when they were in season, then never got the chance to post it. With my trip to France and work schedule, everything got delayed and now it’s November and the plums are no longer in season. I figured I would still post it and not wait for one more year.
I love all poached fruits, they end up being such a delicate and light little treat. I make those quite often when I can find plums and you can complement them with all kinds of dried cookies, biscotti, madeleines, anything you can dip in the syrup. Needless to say this dessert is very quick to make, and “unratable” (that you cannot fail).
The first step is to make the tea. I used green tea in which I added fresh mint leaves and dried verbena leaves (I could not find any fresh ones). Don’t make the tea too strong or the syrup will end up bitter and unpleasant.
- 1.5 cup green verbena-mint tea
- 1 star anise
- vanilla bean, cut lengthwise
- 2 tbs honey
- 6 red plums, not too soft
- 2 tbs macarpone
- 2 tbs Plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp powder sugar (optional)
- zest of 1/2 Meyer lemon
- pistachios, roasted
First make tea, letting the mint and vebena infuse for 10 minutes in green tea. Drain and add honey.
In a pan, cook plums with tea, then add star anis and vanilla bean. Let the plums cook until soft but not mushy. At this point the syrup has thickened. It should not be too thick, add water if too thick. Remove vanilla bean and filter syrup if necessary. Let it cool.
Mix mascarpone and yogurt until smooth, add 1 tsp of powder sugar or more if you like it sweeter and add lemon zest.
Serve plums in cups pouring syrup around and 1 tbs of mascarpone cream on top. Sprinkle with pistachios.
This entry was posted by silvia on November 29, 2015 at 2:05 am, and is filed under Desserts, Express - Less than 30 minutes. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0.You can leave a response or trackback from your own site.
- Comment Feed for this Post
- Polenta cakes with raisin and rum, braised pineapple and pineapple tartare with lime and mint
- Beet carpaccio with raspberries and raspberry vinegar dressing, goat yogurt herb sauce
- Très mango – Mango papillote three ways
- Blanc-manger with almond milk, peach-apricot compte and grilled apricot
- Oats, pear and almond muffins
- Black bean spaghetti with Brussels sprouts, mint and lemon pesto
- Arugula salad with beets, blood orange and walnuts, citrus vinaigrette
- Rustic galette of red wine poached pears and Luna pepper
- Coconut quinoa flans with mango, rum and mint salad
- A little slice of Iceland – Skyr cake with blueberries