Beet and carrot soup with spring shallots and cumin
Soupe de betterave et carotte au cumin
Beets are so lovely, I love them in any shape or form. It’s the type of vegetable you either love or hate. Most people who tasted this soup, loved it. I guess it has to do with its smooth and delicate flavor. When you think about a beet soup, you imagine something different, and certainly not as good.
The good thing about summer, (even if you don’t know it’s summer by looking at the weather here in San Francisco) is that the stores are filled with exciting seasonal vegetables such as these beautiful spring shallots. Usually, you only find them in May-June so whenever they’re available, I get excited like a kid in a candy store. Like any other fresh vegetable, they need to be consumed fast, unlike the dried shallots.
Ingredients for 3-4
- 2 spring shallots, cut
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut in slices
- 5 medium size beets, peeled and cut in small pieces
- Vegetable broth (just enough to cover the vegetables)
- yogurt (optional)
In a large pot, heat olive oil. Add shallots and cumin. Stir and cook until fragrant. Add beets and carrots. Cook at medium heat for a few minutes mixing well. Add broth and let cook for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are soft. Adjust with salt.
Place the cooked vegetable in a blender and puree it.
Serve hot in bowls with yogurt and some green shallot stems.
This entry was posted by silvia on June 22, 2015 at 10:27 pm, and is filed under Soups, Vegetables, Vegetarian - dairy. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0.You can leave a response or trackback from your own site.
- Comment Feed for this Post
- À la va-vite -Tomato and chickpea soup with spices and saute tofu
- Roasted celeriac with mung beans forestière fricassée and tarragon oil
- Yams and Brussels sprouts napoleon with herbs and red bell pepper jam
- Weird translation – Vegetarian couscous with cauliflower “semoule”
- Encore vegan – Jeanette of wild mushrooms, cauliflower and garlic-herb paste
- Einkorn pasta with oyster king mushrooms and carrot pesto
- Marinated tofu skewers, spaghetti squash with king oyster mushrooms, saute dandelion greens
- Carrots, carrots and more carrots – Black lentils on carrot purée, roasted carrots, shave carrots and fried leeks
- Beet carpaccio with raspberries and raspberry vinegar dressing, goat yogurt herb sauce
- Buckwheat pasta with roasted beets and beet leaves pesto