Cauliflower party – Whole roasted and marinated cauliflower, bell pepper salsa
Le chou fleur en fête – Chou fleur entier rôti, poivrons grillés marinés
I was reading an article on cauliflower on a French magazine, and I thought I would like to try roasting it whole. What a wonderful idea to slowly cook a whole cauliflower in the oven, rubbed with herbs and spices. For those who love vegetables and who watch their calories intake, this is a perfect meal.
You can serve this cauliflower with various side dishes who will enhance the whole meal. I love mixing cauliflower and bell peppers, probably a childhood combination that my mom used to do.
The cauliflower remains firm yet soft, I like firm vegetables. If you like them more cooked, then you have to leave the cauliflower in the oven longer, or boil it for 5-10 min prior to baking it. In addition to the pepper salsa, I served it with some yogurt sauce, that’s optional. I love yogurt sauce in general with spicy dishes.
I loved it so much that I ate a whole cauliflower by myself. Talking about moderation…I know, that is a bit exaggerated but as we say in French “quand on aime, on ne compte pas“, when we love, we don’t count. Se here we go…
For the cauliflower
- 1 whole cauliflower
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
For the bell pepper salsa
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil
- juice of one meyer lemon
- 1 tsp chives, chopped
- salt and pepper
For the yogurt sauce
- 5 tbs plain Greek yogurt
- 1.5 tsp mixed herbs (parsley, cilantro, tarragon, etc…)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper
First roast the peppers in the oven. Place under broiler and cook until the skin gets burnt. Turn around peppers until the whole peppers are roasted. Remove from the oven and let them cool. Remove skin and seeds. Cut peppers in small cubes. Mix all ingredients together and set aside.
Wash cauliflower and dry well with a towel. Mix together all other ingredients in a bowl and rub cauliflower with it. Let it sit for about an hour.
Preheat oven at 375F and bake cauliflower for about one hour. Check after 45 min with a knife to see if it’s cooked or still hard and add more cooking time according to how you’d like to eat the cauliflower.
For the yogurt sauce, mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
Cut cauliflower in portions, like you would cut a cake. Serve with side dishes.
- À la va-vite -Tomato and chickpea soup with spices and saute tofu
- Roasted celeriac with mung beans forestière fricassée and tarragon oil
- For the little hole – Oatmeal cookies with cashews and dark chocolate
- Yams and Brussels sprouts napoleon with herbs and red bell pepper jam
- Weird translation – Vegetarian couscous with cauliflower “semoule”
- Polenta cakes with raisin and rum, braised pineapple and pineapple tartare with lime and mint
- East-West – Zucchini and daikon carpaccio with roasted tomatoes and tarrragon coulis
- Encore vegan – Jeanette of wild mushrooms, cauliflower and garlic-herb paste
- More vegan – Layers of spaghetti squash with vegetables and tofu – polenta cakes with herbes de Provence
- As good as it looks – Yams tartine with avocado mash, zucchini tagliatelle and edamame, grey lava salt