Let’s go green – Multi grain rotini with zucchini and spinach pesto
Rotini con zucchine et pesto di spinaci
This will be my last post before I fly to France, for my bi-yearly trip to visit the family.
I discovered this pasta while looking for an alternative for a gluten-free client. It’s basically pasta made with quinoa, amaranth and brown rice flour. At first I was curious as to what its texture and taste would be. I know brown rice pasta tends to be chewy, so this flour mixture intrigued me. I have to say that I loved it right away, at the first bite. I rinsed it with cold water after when I drained it, to avoid any stickiness. Then I prepared it like regular wheat pasta. I love its texture, a bit chewy but firm.
I had tons of baby spinach so being a leafy green, I thought to use them for pesto. Then to add more green, a few zucchini ended up in there too. I have to say that I adore this dish combination…and the color is so vibrant, it’s a simple dish to lift your spirit. When I eat clean, fresh food, I feel energized and happy. I did not add nuts in the pesto, simply because I ate almonds in the morning, so I did not want to add extra. You can certainly add some walnuts, pine nuts, or even pistachios.
Ingredients for 2
- 200 g rotini
- 3 zucchini (cut lengthwise then crosswise)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1-2 tbs vegetable broth
For the pesto
- 1.5 cups baby spinach
- 2 tbs olive oil
- juice and zest of 1 meyer lemon
- 1 tbs nuts (optional)
- 1 tbs parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- salt and pepper
For the spinach pesto
Mix all ingredients in a blender except for lemon zest. At the end, when the pesto is done and homogenous, add lemon zest.
For the remaining of the recipe
Heat olive oil in a pan, add zucchini and a few tbs broth. Cover at medium temperature and let cook until zucchini are tender but not mushy (about 5-7 minutes). Adjust with salt and pepper.
Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta, cook for about 7 minutes and drain. In a mixing bowl, mix pasta with zucchini and pesto.
- Roasted celeriac with mung beans forestière fricassée and tarragon oil
- For the little hole – Oatmeal cookies with cashews and dark chocolate
- Weird translation – Vegetarian couscous with cauliflower “semoule”
- Encore vegan – Jeanette of wild mushrooms, cauliflower and garlic-herb paste
- Einkorn pasta with oyster king mushrooms and carrot pesto
- Carrots, carrots and more carrots – Black lentils on carrot purée, roasted carrots, shave carrots and fried leeks
- Beet carpaccio with raspberries and raspberry vinegar dressing, goat yogurt herb sauce
- Buckwheat pasta with roasted beets and beet leaves pesto
- No flour pizza – Cauliflower crust pizza with mushrooms, fontina, cherry tomatoes and basil
- Zucchini three ways – Farro with zucchini, shiitake, peas, zucchini cream and marinated zucchini ribbons