End of summer – Peach Melba
Fin de l’été – Pêche Melba
I made this recipe a month ago when the peaches were delicious and juicy, now you get the last peaches of the season…bye bye my sweet fruit.
This dessert reminds me of my childhood…during the summer months when I used to go in town with my mom, we would sit down sur la terrace d’un cafe in Place Stanislas, and watch people walk by indulging with one of those ice cream desserts. Life could not get any better and sweeter. Peche Melba was one of my favorite ice cream cups (coupes de glace), along with Chocolat Liegeois and Poire Belle Helene. It’s fairly simple, you only need excellent ingredients.
The dessert was created in 1893 by Auguste Escoffier for the Opera Singer Nellie Melba, that’s where it got its name. It’s simply a peach poached in a syrup served with vanilla ice cream, raspberry coulis and toasted almonds. It’s a great dessert to serve when you have 6-8 guests and that you don’t want to start getting into complicated desserts. Since it’s still peach season with peaches sweet and juicy, this would be the right dessert to enjoy right now. I bought tons of peaches, so it looks like this will be on the menu for the next week or so. No complaints.
Ingredients for 4
- 4 peaches, cut in half, pit removed
- 2 packs raspberries
- 3 tbs sugar (or more to taste)
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- Vanilla ice cream
- 3 tbs toasted sliced almonds
- whipped cream (optional)
- water (enough to cover the peaches)
- 1/4 lb sugar
- vanilla bean, cut in half and scraped
- 1 star anise
This entry was posted by silvia on September 18, 2013 at 4:06 am, and is filed under Desserts. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0.You can leave a response or trackback from your own site.
- Comment Feed for this Post
- Polenta cakes with raisin and rum, braised pineapple and pineapple tartare with lime and mint
- Très mango – Mango papillote three ways
- Blanc-manger with almond milk, peach-apricot compte and grilled apricot
- Oats, pear and almond muffins
- Rustic galette of red wine poached pears and Luna pepper
- Poached black plums in a spicy mint and verbena tea syrup
- Coconut quinoa flans with mango, rum and mint salad
- A little slice of Iceland – Skyr cake with blueberries
- Low calories and low sugar mini chocolate cakes with cocoa nibs and almonds
- So coconut – Coconut mini cakes