Some kind of fast food – Chickpea, red pepper and herb salad with grilled haloumi
Un genre de fast food – Salade de pois chiches et poivrons aux herbes et haloumi
When I go to the store, I buy everything I get attracted to, so when I go to the store hungry, I get attracted to everything in the store. That’s what they say don’t go shopping when you’re hungry, which is definitely a good advice.
Today one of the magic item that ended up in my cart is haloumi. I adore haloumi, it’s a wonderful cheese from Cyprus, and made with half sheep milk, half goat milk. It’s mainly prepared grilled or fried. It softens when it cooks but never really melts, so it’s perfect for grilling. It’s quite salty so does not need additional salt. You can also use cannellini beans instead of the garbanzo bean salad, it will be equally delicious.
I would put this dish in the fast food or express category. When you think about those two words put together “fast” and “food” they do not have a bad connotation, the bad connotation is that they’ve been used to describe meals served by chains such as McDonalds which are not really healthy.
Ingredients for 2
- haloumi, sliced about 1cm thick
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1.5 cups cooked chick peas
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced in small pieces
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbs mixed herbs, finely chooped (chives, parsley, mint, etc…)
- 1 tsp meyer lemon juice
- 2 tbs olive oil
Mix together all ingredients for dressing (except chick peas, paprika and haloumi) and mix well. Pour dressing on chick peas and mix all ingredients together. Sprinkle paprika on both sides of haloumi, then grill on a grill pan or regular non stick pan. When both sides and golden brown, remove from pan and place on top of chickpea salad. Serve while haloumi is hot.
This entry was posted by silvia on August 19, 2013 at 3:49 am, and is filed under Express - Less than 30 minutes, Salads, Vegetarian - dairy. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0.You can leave a response or trackback from your own site.
- Roasted celeriac with mung beans forestière fricassée and tarragon oil
- Weird translation – Vegetarian couscous with cauliflower “semoule”
- Polenta cakes with raisin and rum, braised pineapple and pineapple tartare with lime and mint
- Encore vegan – Jeanette of wild mushrooms, cauliflower and garlic-herb paste
- Einkorn pasta with oyster king mushrooms and carrot pesto
- Carrots, carrots and more carrots – Black lentils on carrot purée, roasted carrots, shave carrots and fried leeks
- Some kind of salad niçoise
- Beet carpaccio with raspberries and raspberry vinegar dressing, goat yogurt herb sauce
- Buckwheat pasta with roasted beets and beet leaves pesto
- No flour pizza – Cauliflower crust pizza with mushrooms, fontina, cherry tomatoes and basil
Now this is *my* kind of fast food!