Unexpected canapés – Chèvre and mushroom canapés with honey and lavender sal
Canapés inattendus – Canapés au chèvre et champignons, miel et sel de lavande
I made a pizza a few nights ago, something I don’t do as much as I used to, and I had leftover dough I didn’t want to through away. I just hate to throw away food and more so doughs that can be used in so many different ways. I have been thinking to combine goat cheese and lavender on some sort of a tart or small bites, voilà, c’est fait en un tour de main (it’s done in a hand twist if you have dough of course). Those canapés are tiny, about 2 inches in diameter, even though they seem a lot bigger by looking at the picture.
As much as I dislike lavender as a scent, I would never buy lavender soaps or fragrances, but I adore lavender in food, it feels like Provence with its warm and sunny days, vibrant colors and flower fragrances. Lavender is like vanilla for me, the smell in fragrances makes me cringe but I love cooking with it.
The particularity of pizza dough, is that it needs to cook fast at high temperature, to get a crisp bottom and not chewy. Usually I bake it in a very hot oven, at high temperature and the dough is always perfect. Well, it’s perfect for me, since I like it crunchy and not soft and chewy.
I used large oyster mushrooms, but any mushrooms such as cremini, would work fine. You could also use eggplants, that makes a great combination with goat cheese.
Never throw away leftover dough of any kind, you can always use it, it makes beautiful bites so when unexpected guest show up, they come in handy.
For about 12 canapés
- pizza dough or pate brisée
- 1/3 lb mushrooms
- 12 slices goat cheese
- lavender salt
- 1 tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper
Sauté mushrooms, in olive oil, add salt and pepper and let cook until the water evaporates.
Roll dough very thinly, about 2 mm thick. Cut 2 inches circles with a cookie ring. Place some mushrooms, top it with goat cheese. Sprinkle with lavender salt and honey.
Bake in pre-heated oven at 400F for about 10 minutes until the bottom is golden brown and cheese has melted.
- Yams and zucchini mille feuilles, sauté tofu steak, wild mushrooms and tomato fondue
- No flour pizza – Cauliflower crust pizza with mushrooms, fontina, cherry tomatoes and basil
- Rustic galette of red wine poached pears and Luna pepper
- Razor clams are back! – Baked razor clams stuffed with mixed herbs and lemon zest
- The other gnocchi – Polenta gnocchi with cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and peas
- Croquettes or galettes? – Cod croquettes, with carrots ribbons and yogurt-capers sauce
- Deliciously vegan – Grilled king oyster mushrooms, lentils-quinoa and miso sauce
- Brick stuffed with mango-peaches, lemon and lavender – coconut ice cream
- Stuffed portobello with vegetables goat cheese and basil
- Party time! half bite and short story – Mini mussel tartlets