We want more! – Grilled spiced scallops on a curry tomato fondue with caramelized endives
On en veut encore! – Saint-jacques grillées aux épices sur fondue de tomates au curry et endives caramelisées
Actually I wanted to make scallops with endives and incorporating orange juice in the recipe, unfortunately I ate all the oranges so I had no choice and had to change my original idea or run to the store which was not an option. Scallops are called Noix de St Jacques in France, and the smaller ones, the bay scallops are called pétoncles. Most of the time, in France we buy scallops in their shell with their red coral. I don’t know why in the US they get rid of it, I’m sure there must be a good reason. The caramelized endives are wonderful with those sea scallops, the sweetness added by sugar and bitterness of endive balance perfectly the curry flavor. I really love this scallop recipe and for scallop lovers, it really needs to be tried.
Ingredients for 4
- 12 large scallops
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, seedless and diced
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbs heavy cream
- 1 tbs cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 tbs fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 tbs dill, chopped
- 1 tbs olive oil
For the endives
- 12 belgium endives
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 tps sugar
- salt and pepper
For the scallops, pat them dry to remove excess water. Crush fennel and cumin seeds in a mortar and dip scallops in the mixture, remove excess seeds.
In a pan, heat olive oil, add shallots, and let them brown. Add curry powder, stir for about 5 min. Add tomatoes, cook for about 10 minutes then add heavy cream. Stir, add salt and pepper, cook for a few minutes until the cream has thickened a little.
For the endives, wash them, cut them lengthwise, pat them dry to remove water. In a pan, add butter, and place endives flat side down, let them brown on both sides, then sprinkle with sugar and cover and let cook for about 15 minutes.
Grill the scallops in a grill, grill on both sides.
Spoon 2 tbs of tomato curry sauce in a middle of a plate, top with scallops, sprinkle with dill and add endives on the side.
- Snapper or not snapper ? – Red snapper kebabs with orange and olive vinaigrette on fennel fondue
- Automn Leaves – Sunburst squash and leek soup with oregano and yogurt, warm roquefort tartine
- A taste from far away – Shrimps in a coconut colombo sauce on spiced vanilla basmati rice
- Just for fun – Zucchini flans with olives, feta and mint in a heirloom tomato vinaigrette
- I ate all the fishes in the ocean – Mahi mahi fillet and candied lemon with cardamom on saffron rice with wilted dandelions
- Are there still fishes in the sea? – Salmon tart with spinach, onions and dill on a black sesame seeds, chili and herb crust
- That’s not for Pépito! – Green tea, coconut, and almond bouchées
- Vegetables inside and out – Carrot tagliolini with zucchini-walnut pesto
- A close cousin has just arrived – Whole wheat orzotto with shrimps, sea scallops, fennel, radicchio and herbs
- A few mousses in a layer or two – Mascarpone mousse with raspberries and strawberry coulis imitation tiramisù