When corn and cumin meet – Quand le mais et le cumin se rencontrent
Crunchy corn and scallion fritters with chili garlic sauce
These little corn fritters or galettes (galettes are somehow equivalent to pancakes) are very popular as appetizers along with a green salad or as finger food on their own. They’re vegan too and extremely flavorful, so certainly not the boring type. What makes it even more appetizing is the sweet-sour dipping sauce. This is a perfect buffet dish, the fritters are very flavorful and crunchy.
For about 12 mini galettes:
- 2 corns on the cob
- Half cup of beer
- 3/4 cup of flour
- One pinch chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/6 tsp garlic powder
- 2 scallions
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Salt and pepper
For the dipping sauce:
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- Less than 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 red chili pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
For the dipping sauce:
Mix vinegar and sugar in a pan and bring to a boil, reduce to make it syrupy and add the other ingredients. I added some coloring to make it red.
To make the fritters:
Cut the corn kernels from the cob and place in a mixing bowl. Add the flour, the cumin, scallions, chili, garlic powder, baking powder, salt and pepper. Add beer gradually and keep aside for about 30 minutes.
Heat a pan with olive oil, and using a tablespoon, form some fritters, flatten a little bit the mixture and let them cook on both sides. Fritters s are cooked when they’re slightly browned on each sides.
Serve hot with dipping sauce.
- Razor clams are back! – Baked razor clams stuffed with mixed herbs and lemon zest
- Croquettes or galettes? – Cod croquettes, with carrots ribbons and yogurt-capers sauce
- Life is a coconut – Coconut rice balls stuffed with shrimps, zucchini and lemongrass
- Mes petits choux – Prosciutto wrapped Brussels sprouts on mâche salad and roasted pepper vinaigrette
- So French – Gougères with comté cheese and thyme
- Spring, here we are – Grilled beets, sweet potato and haloumi kebabs with arugula-lime dipping sauce
- Light Sunday treat – Spicy shrimps on a bed cauliflower mash
- Get a pillow and take a nap – Pillows with fava beans, asparagus and goat cheese
- Apéro Gourmand – Soft bouchées with sheep Basque cheese and figs
- Rillettes from the sea – Smoked mackerel rillettes with potato-cumin blinis