Saffron quinoa galettes with herbs, butternut squash purée
Galettes de quinoa au saffran et herbes, purée de courge butternut
I had some leftover saffron quinoa that I didn’t want to throw away but I didn’t want to eat either. Obviously the choices were limited…so I used the quinoa to make galettes. I figured it would be a nice balanced meal with a butternut squash purée with it.
The quinoa was originally cooked using as a risotto ingredients, with shallots, saffron, broth and white wine minus the parmesan. I did not add cheese, I think it would add some heaviness that it did not need. If you want a more pungent galettes, you can of course add parmesan or feta for the matter.
I steamed the quinoa with all the ingredients instead of slowly adding broth while cooking.
for the quinoa galettes
- 1.5 cups cooked quinoa (risotto-style)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 tbs amaranth flour
- 2 tbs corn starch
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbs mixed herbs (chervil, chives, basil, parley, etc…), chopped
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbs olive oil
For the butternut squash purée
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed in 1.5 inches cubes
- 1/2 cup of vegetable broth
- 1 tbs coconut cream
- salt and pepper
For the galettes
Place quinoa in a mixing container. Add flour, corn starch and baking powder and mix well, coating the quinoa with the flours. Add carrots and herbs and mix again. Add beaten eggs and adjust with salt and pepper. If the mixture is too liquid add a little more flour.
Using your hands, form a galette of about 2 inches diameter and 3/4 inch think.
Heat olive oil in a pan and cook galettes at medium heat until golden brown on both sides. Keep warm.
For the butternut squash
Cook squash in a deep pan with vegetable broth at low temperature with lid on. Add salt and pepper. When the squash is tender and cooked all the way through and liquid absorbed, remove from heat and mash with a potato masher until smooth. Add coconut cream and stir well.
- Yams and Brussels sprouts napoleon with herbs and red bell pepper jam
- Weird translation – Vegetarian couscous with cauliflower “semoule”
- Encore vegan – Jeanette of wild mushrooms, cauliflower and garlic-herb paste
- Einkorn pasta with oyster king mushrooms and carrot pesto
- Octopus stew with cannellini bean purée, herb oil
- Marinated tofu skewers, spaghetti squash with king oyster mushrooms, saute dandelion greens
- Carrots part 2 – Carrot greens galettes with carrots and edamame saute, tahini-yogurt-lemon sauce
- Carrots, carrots and more carrots – Black lentils on carrot purée, roasted carrots, shave carrots and fried leeks
- Beet carpaccio with raspberries and raspberry vinegar dressing, goat yogurt herb sauce
- Buckwheat pasta with roasted beets and beet leaves pesto