Once it was a salad – Soup of lettuce and peas with herbs, cream of tarragon-chervil
Un jour, ce fût une salade – Soupe de laitue et pois aux herbes, crème d’estragon et cerfeuil
This soup has been made with ingredients that could also be a salad. So if you are tired of lettuce salad, you can turn it into a delightful soup. Soups have a healing and cleansing effect and are so nutritious, so they’re the perfect reason to be part of anyone’s diet.
You can certainly cook lettuce or braise it. Its use is not limited to being eaten raw in salads. Being a leaf, it can be used as spinach or chards or as any other green. Since lettuce tends to be bland, I like to enhance it with fresh herbs. You can also use cannellini beans or chick peas instead of peas.
In France, they often add a tbs of crème fraîche in a velouté, or vegetable cream. I prefer to use yogurt to keep it lighter, it’s a personal choice, but cream would also work. As far as, texture, you can blend it into a fine and smooth texture, I kept it more grainy, it’s all up to your personal tastes.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 heads of lettuce
- 300 g peas
- 1/2 bunch chervil + 1 tbs, chopped
- 3 tbs tarragon + 1 tbs, chopped
- Vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
For the soup
Heat olive oil in a pot. Add onions and let soften, then add lettuce. Let it wilt, add broth (to cover the lettuce mixture). Cover and let cook for about 15 minutes. Add peas and herbs and let cook for an extra 10 minutes. Blend soup in a mixer or hand blender. SErve hot with a tablespoon of cream of herbs.
For the cream of herbs
Mix 1 tbs of tarragon and 1 tbs of chervil with yogurt and stir.
- À la va-vite -Tomato and chickpea soup with spices and saute tofu
- Roasted celeriac with mung beans forestière fricassée and tarragon oil
- Carrots part 2 – Carrot greens galettes with carrots and edamame saute, tahini-yogurt-lemon sauce
- Zucchini three ways – Farro with zucchini, shiitake, peas, zucchini cream and marinated zucchini ribbons
- Sanpeijiru – Japanese salmon and daikon soup
- Edamame and mung bean fettucine with cabbage, peas and shrimps
- Oats, pear and almond muffins
- Deep Purple – Celery root and Okinawan purple potato soup with crayfish
- A fall celebration – Cream of lacinato kale, sesame and thyme sea scallop
- A little slice of Iceland – Skyr cake with blueberries