It’s eatable – Sauté beet leaves with cumin, garlic and raisins
Ça se mange – Fanes de betteraves sautées au cumin, ail et raisins secs
This morning I went shopping and I had beets on the menu…as usual this store (which I am not going to mention) never has what I need, some days there are no leeks, no scallions or no basmati rice, or no won ton wrappers, etc…so I have to somehow contain my frustration.
This morning was not that bad, I was looking for lose beets, and I could only find beets by the bunch with the leaves on. The good thing about this, is that you can use the leaves. So if you happen to buy beets with their leaves and stems on, do not throw them away. You can use them like you would use spinach, kale, or any other greens.
I remove the stems that were a bit hard and only kept the leaves.
In this recipe, I added a few spices to enhance the whole dish. It’s a fragrant way to cook greens and it was just what I was in the mood for. You can eat this as a side dish, I ate it with some marinated sardines and it made my day…if you try it, it might make yours too!
Ingredients for 2
- 3 bunches of beet greens, roughly chopped
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbs raisins (soaked in water for 10 min)
- salt and pepper
Heat olive oil in a large pot and brown cumin seeds until fragrant. Add garlic and turmeric and stir a low heat until fragrant (you don’t want to burn the turmeric, it will be bitter). Add greens and cook until wilted. Adjust with salt and pepper and add raisins. Drizzle with olive oil and eat hot or warm.
- Weird translation – Vegetarian couscous with cauliflower “semoule”
- Polenta cakes with raisin and rum, braised pineapple and pineapple tartare with lime and mint
- East-West – Zucchini and daikon carpaccio with roasted tomatoes and tarrragon coulis
- Encore vegan – Jeanette of wild mushrooms, cauliflower and garlic-herb paste
- More vegan – Layers of spaghetti squash with vegetables and tofu – polenta cakes with herbes de Provence
- As good as it looks – Yams tartine with avocado mash, zucchini tagliatelle and edamame, grey lava salt
- Grilled tofu and eggplant, brown rice noodles, sauté wild mushrooms, coconut curry émulsion, crispy dulse seaweed
- Marinated tofu skewers, spaghetti squash with king oyster mushrooms, saute dandelion greens
- Carrots, carrots and more carrots – Black lentils on carrot purée, roasted carrots, shave carrots and fried leeks
- Beet carpaccio with raspberries and raspberry vinegar dressing, goat yogurt herb sauce