Life is beautiful this way – Warm salad of curried roasted cauliflower, bell peppers and yams with lemon poppy seed vinaigrette
La vie est belle comme ça- Salade tiède chou fleur au curry, poivrons, et patate douce, vinaigrette au graines de pavot et citron
We can go simple with a few ingredients, and get a flavorful and nutritious salad. Plant based meals make me happy and in a good mood, as much as running does. So let’s say today I am in an exceptionally wonderful mood. All I ask is to keep eating plants, cooking and running for as long as I can.
I keep forgetting to eat yams, probably because they were not a part of my diet growing up, and I discovered them in the US, so I always buy them, but never use them. I look at them every day, but leave them just where they sit, at the bottom of the refrigerator. Today, I decided to use them one way or another…but definitely the inspiration did not show up instantly. I had to “me creuser les meninges” as we say in French (translated into to rack’s ones brain).
Warm salads are quite a change from the cold ones, and give you a different feeling, you actually feel like you are eating something substantial and nutritious. This salad is absolutely delicious, you need to emphasis on the vinaigrette using Meyer lemon, and the best unrefined olive oil you can find.
For the greens, a friend of mine from Napa who came to visit this weekend, brought a bunch of beautiful black basil she is growing, so I mixed it with the greens I had, and it added such a nice character to this salad. It’s optional, but if you have some fragrant basil, don’t hesitate to use it.
Ingredients for 4
For the salad
- 1 medium size cauliflower, cut in small florets
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut in small strips, then halved
- 1 small yam, peeled, sliced (1 cm) then each slice cut in quarters
- 1/2 red onion, sliced crosswise
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp curry
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- sald and pepper
- mixed greens + basil
For the vinaigrette
- Olive oil
- zest of one Meyer lemon
- juice of one Meyer lemon
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- salt and pepper
For the salad
Mix all ingredients together. Roast in the oven for 20 min at about 400F. When roasted, remove from the oven and add 2 tbs of vinaigrette, more if necessary. Toss well.
Serve on a bed of greens, adding more vinaigrette if desired.
For the vinaigrette
Mix all ingredients together.
- Weird translation – Vegetarian couscous with cauliflower “semoule”
- Encore vegan – Jeanette of wild mushrooms, cauliflower and garlic-herb paste
- As good as it looks – Yams tartine with avocado mash, zucchini tagliatelle and edamame, grey lava salt
- Grilled tofu and eggplant, brown rice noodles, sauté wild mushrooms, coconut curry émulsion, crispy dulse seaweed
- Carrots part 2 – Carrot greens galettes with carrots and edamame saute, tahini-yogurt-lemon sauce
- Yams and zucchini mille feuilles, sauté tofu steak, wild mushrooms and tomato fondue
- Beet carpaccio with raspberries and raspberry vinegar dressing, goat yogurt herb sauce
- No flour pizza – Cauliflower crust pizza with mushrooms, fontina, cherry tomatoes and basil
- Grilled octopus, fennel and fava bean saute, roasted pepper salsa, mixed herb salsa
- Crumble of artichoke, yams and carrot purée, sauté kale and wild mushrooms