Deliciously vegan – Grilled king oyster mushrooms, lentils-quinoa and miso sauce
Délicieusement vegan – Pleurottes géantes grillées, lentilles-quinoa et sauce miso épicée
This will be my favorite dish for some time. The inspiration came from a dish I ate in a restaurant in Healdsburg where grilled mushrooms were served with fried quinoa, poached egg and miso sauce. I changed things around a bit and added lentils instead of egg to make it vegan. Since I had eggs yesterday, I wanted to skip them today and it came out quite delicious this way.
Of course, you can skip the lentils, or the quinoa, add a poached, egg, etc… you can play around with it, the only thing you cannot skip is the miso sauce.
I love giant mushrooms because you can slice them and use them as meat. These ones have a lovely texture and are quite filling.
I am not a big user of miso. In my mind, it’s a Japanese ingredient that should not be mixed with French or Italian flavors. In this particular dish, its delicate flavor brings harmony and character to the different items combined in this dish. I will play with miso more often from now on.
Ingredients for 3-4
- 5 large king oyster mushrooms, sliced 1 cm thick
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- vegetable broth
- 2 scallions, chopped
For the miso sauce
- 1 tbs miso
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 garlic cloves, crushed
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
Steam quinoa in a rice cooker with vegetable broth (it takes about 10 min to cook) and lentils in vegetable broth as well until cooked. Mix them, sprinkle with olive oil and keep warm.
For the miso sauce, mix ingredients together and cook for a few minutes at low temperature until it boil.
Grill mushrooms until both sides are golden.
Dress in a plate. Place lentil-quinoa mixture in the center of the plate, arrange mushroom slices around and pour 4-5 tbs miso sauce per plate. Sprinkle with scallions.
- For the little hole – Oatmeal cookies with cashews and dark chocolate
- Yams and Brussels sprouts napoleon with herbs and red bell pepper jam
- Weird translation – Vegetarian couscous with cauliflower “semoule”
- Polenta cakes with raisin and rum, braised pineapple and pineapple tartare with lime and mint
- East-West – Zucchini and daikon carpaccio with roasted tomatoes and tarrragon coulis
- Encore vegan – Jeanette of wild mushrooms, cauliflower and garlic-herb paste
- More vegan – Layers of spaghetti squash with vegetables and tofu – polenta cakes with herbes de Provence
- As good as it looks – Yams tartine with avocado mash, zucchini tagliatelle and edamame, grey lava salt
- Grilled tofu and eggplant, brown rice noodles, sauté wild mushrooms, coconut curry émulsion, crispy dulse seaweed
- Marinated tofu skewers, spaghetti squash with king oyster mushrooms, saute dandelion greens