Eat your carrots! – Carrot and almond galettes stuffed with gorgonzola on cucumber salad
Mange tes carottes! – Galettes de carottes et amandes au coeur de gorgonzola sur salade de concombre
Once in a while, I like to feature one of those “ordinary” vegetables” and give them a make over. When you really look at the different ways to prepare them, and the amount of vitamin A they contain, they’re not that ordinary after all. Besides, I think it’s a great way to have kids eat their vegetables if they’re not very inclined to. I have been thinking about a recipe to combine gorgonzola and carrots, but I was not quite sure how to combine it all together, first a savory cake crossed my mind or as we call them cake sale, then, I wanted something lighter with less carbs and since I love vegetables galettes of all kinds, here it is.
I really need this, San Francisco is entering the terrible summer season, with the fog rolling in, I thought that would be postponed to July-August and unfortunately, it seems like this year it’s happening sooner. I will probably end up eating carrots all summer!
The carrot-almond-cumin-gorgonzola combination worked very well together. The sweeteness of the carrots is a little toned down by the pungent gorgonzola and you get soft after taste of the almonds. The cucumber salad is quite simple and balances the whole dish.
The galettes tend to be tender because they do not contain egg, you might want to add extra almond flour. They need to be handled carefully.
Ingredients for about 6-7 galettes
For the galettes
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut in halves crosswise
- 5 tbs almond flour or almond meal
- 1/2 ts cumin seeds roasted and crushed
- 1 tbs sliced almonds
- 6 small pieces gorgonzola, diced
- salt and pepper
For the salad
- 3 Persian cucumbers, peeled
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbs chives, chopped
- salt and pepper
Steam carrots. When cooked mash with a potato masher into a fine consistency. Add almond flour, and cumin seeds, salt and pepper. Mix well and form little patties. Add one piece of gorgonzola in the middle of each pattie and close it to “seal” the cheese inside. Add extra almond flour on to coat each side of the patties. top it with sliced almonds. Place on a parchement paper and cook in a pre-heated oven at 375F for about 15 minutes until the top is slightly golden and cheese has melted.
For the salad, slice cucumber very finely using a mandoline. Squeeze excess water using your hands. Add all ingredients and mix well. If you get too much water, squeeze cucumbers again.
Serve on a small plate with a small portion of cucumber salad and carrot galettes on top.
- East-West – Zucchini and daikon carpaccio with roasted tomatoes and tarrragon coulis
- Quick and simple – Yams tartine with greens, sardines and radishes, lemon-herb pesto
- Carrots, carrots and more carrots – Black lentils on carrot purée, roasted carrots, shave carrots and fried leeks
- Crumble of artichoke, yams and carrot purée, sauté kale and wild mushrooms
- Mediterranean tofu cakes with warm roasted pepper, eggplant salad and green olive tapenade
- Saffron quinoa galettes with herbs, butternut squash purée
- Salmon à l’unilatérale, cauliflower purée and warm Moroccan carrot salad
- Lentils and carrot mash with roasted butternut squash and tahini sauce
- Distant and delightul memories – Octopus carpaccio
- Croquettes or galettes? – Cod croquettes, with carrots ribbons and yogurt-capers sauce