Salad or tapas? – Smoke Trout on a cucumber mint and chives salad
Salade ou tapas? – Salade de truite fumée sur concombre à la menthe, fromage blanc et ciboulette
This weekend has been busy with birthday parties and other types of events, and we have been experiencing a hot and sunny weather in the Bay Area so when I see a ray of sun, I cannot help and be outside…which usually means quick dishes, nonetheless savory, one cannot be neglected to the expenses of the other.
I like to serve this as a small dish, I call it salad but can be called tapas as well. I have a little weakness for smoke trout but any smoke fish will work as well. In France you can find a large variety of smoked fishes in the supermarket, usually in the packaged fish specialty area of the supermarket. It’s either cooked and smoke or raw and smoked. Smoke trout is easy to find in the US but always saw this cooked version. Every year when I go home, there always a bunch of new products to discover and try out.
Another wonderful use of fromage blanc here, where the smoke flavor of the fish combined with creamy fromage blanc, faisselle (I don’t think it’s available in the US), or any other kind of fresh cheese, makes a perfectly balanced combination. The smoke flavor which can be sometimes strong is toned down by the creaminess and softness of the fromage blanc.
Ingredients for 2
- 1/2 english cucumber, seeds removed and diced finely
- 1 smoke trout fillet
- 2 tbs fromage blanc
- 1 tsp chives, chopped
- 1 tsp mint chopped
- 1 tsp dill, chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp strong Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp rock salt
Sprinkle rock salt on cucumber to drain them from their water. Let it sit for about 30 minutes. Rinse and remove squeeze extra water.
In a bowl combine fromage blanc with herbs, mustard, lemon juice and pepper. Mix well and add to the cucumbers.
Place a slice of cucumber in a small plate, add one or two tbs of cucumber mixture on top and finish withsome smoke trout. Decorate with fresh herbs and serve.
- Polenta cakes with raisin and rum, braised pineapple and pineapple tartare with lime and mint
- Some kind of salad niçoise
- Beet carpaccio with raspberries and raspberry vinegar dressing, goat yogurt herb sauce
- Blanc-manger with almond milk, peach-apricot compte and grilled apricot
- Black bean spaghetti with Brussels sprouts, mint and lemon pesto
- Arugula salad with beets, blood orange and walnuts, citrus vinaigrette
- Poached black plums in a spicy mint and verbena tea syrup
- Coconut quinoa flans with mango, rum and mint salad
- When the sun is hiding – Broccoli, cumin and feta galettes, saute kale, butter bean avocado salad
- Raw and crunchy – Golden beet salad, hearts of palm and edamame with poached egg, cilantro raspberry vinaigrette