Tel Aviv lentil salad – Lentil and beet salad with arugula, feta and mint
La bonne salade aux lentilles de Tel Aviv – Salade de lentilles, roquette, betteraves à la feta et menthe
On my stay in Tel Aviv, I walked almost all over the city for five days…the weather was beautiful, it felt so much like summer to me so while France was snowed in, I enjoyed my five days as if it was the last time I would be in short sleeves and eat croissants on a terrace.
As much as Jerusalem had a magic light, Tel Aviv had amazing restaurants, I loved all of them, everything was fresh and exquisite and I got to explore the city and its great neighborhoods and specialties with my map (and my high heels, shameless to say). As bad as I get in orienting myself, sometimes I think I have a disease. I can drive or walk every day by the same place, without ever remembering it. Maybe the “tête en l’air” virus.
I did remember Ben Yehuda street and the green restaurant that had been intriguing me for days with its flashy green color. It was a colorful looking place that seemed to serve organic food and decided to give it a try. It was a mixture of a traditional Californian vegetarian cafe type of decor combined with a Mediterranean menu which intrigued me. Every item on the menu had a calorie count and was under 300 calories per dish. I was not aware that Israelis were that health conscious. I finally ordered the lentil salad not knowing what to expect and thinking how exciting a bowl of lentils could be? Well, it could certainly be very exciting! that was seriously the most, delicious, flavorful, healthy lentil dish salad I had in quite a long time.
I loved it so much, that I wanted to try to reproduce it from what I remembered and it turned out quite well. Who can say no to a one meal bowl full of nutrients with so little calories? Certainly not me.
Ingredients for 2
- about 5.30 oz (or 150 g) green lentils
- 3 medium size beets (golden or red), cooked and diced
- 1 cup arugula
- 2 tbs feta, crumbled
- 2 tbs mint, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/3 tsp cumin powder
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
Cook lentils in salted water until cooked but not mushy. Drain and set aside.
Cook beets in water until tender, about 45 min. Let cool, then peel them. Cut in about 1 inches pieces and add to the lentils, then add arugula. Add mint and scallion and mix well.
In a bowl, mix cumin, olive oil and lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix well.
Pour dressing on top of the salad and toss. Add feta and mix carefully.
- Beet and carrot soup with spring shallots and cumin
- Cauliflower party – Whole roasted and marinated cauliflower, bell pepper salsa
- Let’s end the year smoothly – Whole grain cavatelli with cherry tomatoes, baby kale, garlic and basil
- Deliciously vegan – Grilled king oyster mushrooms, lentils-quinoa and miso sauce
- When the sun is hiding – Broccoli, cumin and feta galettes, saute kale, butter bean avocado salad
- Raw and crunchy – Golden beet salad, hearts of palm and edamame with poached egg, cilantro raspberry vinaigrette
- Let’s go green – Multi grain rotini with zucchini and spinach pesto
- In the wide world of galettes – Cauliflower and zucchini galettes, bed of carrots, yogurt sauce
- More quinoa – Saffron quinoa risotto-style with roasted squash
- Pea and spinach soup with mint, poached egg