Quick and easy – Lavender cod with grilled fennel and potato salad, roasted tomato
Rapide et facile – Cabillaud au sel de lavande, salade de fenouil et pommes de terre grillées, tomate rôtie
I had a very little time for lunch yesterday since I had a doctor’s appointment early in the afternoon. I currently have no car, looking to buy one, so public transportation here I come…
I evaluated it would take me over one hour to get to the doctor, since I had to make a connection. I don’t know if any of you have ever taken public transportation in San Francisco, but some Muni lines are nice and clean and some others are packed, loud, people yelling, insulting one another and dirty…unfortunately I had to take that one. At that point, I wished I had a car…I think something should be done to improve the public transportation system and the quality of the streets. Better public transportation would help the environment and decrease the traffic.
Before my trip to hell, I found the perfect fast food plate. Honestly, this is fast food. It took me less than 30 minutes to put it all together and perfectly flavored and balanced. I like fresh herbs, and food that doesn’t cook for hours soaked in heavy sauces. I love fresh crisp flavors, and this fish dish fits that category. There are few simple ingredients such as lemon juice, herbs, etc…nothing too complex, so nothing overpowering to confuse your palate.
This dish smells and tastes comme la Provence with the fennel and lavender. This is perfect for one of those days when you don’t have too much time too spend in the kitchen but still want to eat a decent healthy meal.
Ingredients for 2
For the cod
- 2 cod fillets
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbs olive oil
- lavender salt
For the vegetables
- 2 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 3 potatoes, sliced crosswise
- 1 heirloom tomato, cut in half
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbs parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbs mint, finely chopped
- one pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbs olive oil + 1
- salt and pepper
- Fleur de sel for the tomato
First prepare the potatoes. Drizzle them with salt, pepper, olive oil and cider vinegar. Place in the oven and broil on both sides until golden brown and cooked all the way through. While potatoes are cooking, grill the fennel on a grill pan. Add fennel to the potatoes.
Drizzle cod with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Broil on both sides until cooked all the way through.
Grill tomatoes on grill pan.
In a small mixing bowl, mix olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, parsley, mint, cumin powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Pour on top of fennel, potato mixture and toss.
Add lavender salt on top of cod, drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil.
Add Fleur de sel and pepper on top of tomato halves and a little olive oil.
Serve each item in a plate.
- Who would have thought – Vegetable Pot-au-feu “du Sud”
- Like birdie – Spicy millet taboule with chick peas and grilled zucchini
- Simply delicious – Spaghetti with bottarga
- salmon wrapped in chard leaves, cauliflower purée, vegetable fondue and tarragon jus
- Real or Fake? Salt cod brandade on marinated zucchini ribbons
- I wish I could swim – Nage of Moonfish with fava beans and carrots
- Let’s keep it simple – Spicy chick pea galettes, ribbon vegetable salad, yogurt sauce
- Mes petits choux – Prosciutto wrapped Brussels sprouts on mâche salad and roasted pepper vinaigrette
- A salad Niçoise unlike others – Salade Niçoise with broiled salmon skewer and tapenade tartine with poached egg
- Fast food my way – Grilled tuna steak on brussels sprouts quinoa and roasted bell pepper relish