As pretty as pearls – Coconut tapioca cream with mango compote
Aussi jolies que des perles – Crème de tapioca à la noix de coco et compote de mangues
I was reading a French Elle magazine, I like Elle because they always have a great food/recipe section at the end called “Elle à Table” with fresh and modern recipes and tons of flavors. I got stuck on a tapioca cream recipe picture with a raspberry coulis. It looked so beautiful that I felt like eating the paper. I got inspired by Elle’s recipe for this one, eventhough I did not use the same ingredients or quantities, they somehow gave me the idea to mix fruits and tapioca. It’s a fresh and light dessert, perfect as a little treat after a heavy dinner, because as we say in French, “il faut toujours laisser une petite place pour le dessert” (you always need to leave a little space for dessert) not matter how heavy your meal was. I am not really too much into desserts, but I love fruit based desserts like this one, with a little exotic touch you get with the coconut.
In France, we use tapioca in soups, it’s not very common to see it in sweet dishes but it works perfectly well with coconut in sweet desserts. You can use raspberries instead of mango, they both tastes equally delicious.
I finally bought a car, it’s funny how a car can give you this feeling of freedom, I realized that when I no longer had one. So finally I can go shopping at my favorite grocery stores not accessible to public transportation. In Paris, public transportation is great and you don’t need a car, but even though San Francisco has a decent public transportation, a car is somehow not a luxury if you work in some parts of town.
Ingredients for 2 verrines
- 2.82 oz (or 80 g) tapioca
- 7.4 fl oz (or 220 ml) coconut milk
- 1.7 fl oz (or 50 ml) milk
- 3 tbs heavy cream
- 2.82 oz (or 80 g) sugar
- 1 mango
- zest and juice of one lemon
Peel mango. Keep 4 slices aside for decoration, and cut the rest in cubes, add 1 tbs sugar and lemon juice and cook for about 7 minutes until it becomes a compote. Set aside
Cook tapioca in boiling water for about 5 minutes, to remove all the extra starch, then drain.
Heat milk, coconut milk and cream, add sugar, then add tapioca pearls, let it cook until tapioca becomes transparent.
Add some lemon zest, keep some for decoration.
Place mango compote in a glass and top with cream of tapioca, let it cool and place in the refrigerator. Decorate with mango slices, and extra lemon zests.
- As pretty as pearls – Coconut tapioca cream with mango compote | Baltimore Pearls
- Vegetable Korma | Feed The Sink
- Polenta cakes with raisin and rum, braised pineapple and pineapple tartare with lime and mint
- Grilled tofu and eggplant, brown rice noodles, sauté wild mushrooms, coconut curry émulsion, crispy dulse seaweed
- Très mango – Mango papillote three ways
- Blanc-manger with almond milk, peach-apricot compte and grilled apricot
- Oats, pear and almond muffins
- Rustic galette of red wine poached pears and Luna pepper
- Poached black plums in a spicy mint and verbena tea syrup
- Coconut quinoa flans with mango, rum and mint salad
- A little slice of Iceland – Skyr cake with blueberries
- So coconut – Coconut mini cakes