Apple games – Apple, ricotta, raisins and almond butter pancakes
Jeux de pommes – Galettes de pommes, ricotta et beurre d’amande
I started this little post a while ago and never managed to finish it, since I have a 30 minutes break in between this craziness move, I just wanted to finish it and move on.
Originally I wanted to make savory frittelle with the ricotta I had bought, something with capers and parsley, then I woke up one morning and had nothing to eat for breakfast (like this morning), and that is bad news. It rarely happens, I always make sure I have food for breakfast. No coffee for my Brikka, and no bread for my toaster. (so I had to use the Nespresso that I really don’t like, I have to admit that I am a coffee snob). As much as I have very light dinners, my breakfasts are quite substantial and I really need to eat in the morning. Usually, I don’t get grumpy if I am hungry, I just chew a gum and I can last a couple of hours….except in the morning. Les petit-dejeûners sont sacrés!! Breakfast are sacred!
When you have nothing to eat, then pancake is the solution…I think those are similar to pancakes in terms of texture and consistency even if technically they might not be pancakes (I don’t know I am not a pancake expert). They tend to be tender and soft…
The almond butter adds a little natural sweetness and nutty taste to it. As much as don’t care for peanut butter, I love almond butter.
Those pancakes are completely made with wholewheat flour and a quite healthy little morning treat, if you have nothing else to eat and don’t feel like going out for breakfast.
Ingredients for 10 pancakes
- 2 medium size fuji apples
- 4 tbs light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 5 tbs ricotta
- 7 tbs wholewheat flour
- 1 tbs almond butter
- zest of one lemon
- 2 tbs golden raisins
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
In a mixing container, grate peeled apples, squeeze them in your hand to somehow remove extra juice, then add lemon juice to prevent them from browning. In another container, mix ricotta, eggs and sugar and beat until the mixture becomes smooth. Add lemon zest, almond butter and flour, vanilla extract and powder, raisins and baking powder.
In a non stick pan, place one large tbs of mixture and let it cook on one side, then turn on the other side when they turn golden brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve hot with a apple sauce on the side.
- Polenta cakes with raisin and rum, braised pineapple and pineapple tartare with lime and mint
- Coconut quinoa flans with mango, rum and mint salad
- Gluten free almond cake
- Simplissime – Banana, caramel and rum pudding
- Bread or brioche? – Raisin bread with a swirl
- A thief in the kitchen – Mini vanilla polenta cake with rum roasted peach
- Do you know how to play the guitar? – Farro Spaghetti “alla chitarra” with vegetable ragù and ricotta
- A Crunchy bite – Spring salad with fresh chick peas, baby carrots, avocado and ricotta salata
- A Simple brioche – One French brioche among others
- As delicate as a flower – Quince preserve