Simply chocolate – Chocolate cake with almonds and coconut
Tout simplement chocolat – Gateau au chocolat aux amandes et lait de coco
Lately I have been using coconut milk in many dishes, and I think it can be a nice substitute to regular milk especially in desserts. I know very few people who don’t like chocolate, personally I am a vanilla person, but even though I love chocolate.
I use to make a fabulous chocolate cake when I was a child, with almonds and no baking powder and I really don’t remember what the exact ingredients were, all I remember is anytime I made this cake, if friends came to visit my parents, they would devour it in a few minutes. It was rich, flavorful but not too over whealming in terms of chocolate flavor. I tend to add less sugar than most of you probably would, so taste the batter and if it seems to low in sugar, add extra to your liking.
I tried to reproduce from memory that particular cake, I added less butter and coconut milk, and it is not exactly the same, it is still delicious.
It’s funny how childhood memories of some dishes, smells, flavors remain so engrained in one’s mind. Some memories fade away with time, I tend to forget events that seemed to be important when it happened, but for some reason, I always remember the great food that I came accross.
Ingredients for 8
- 250 g flour
- 5 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 150 g sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 10 tbs melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 tbs sliced almonds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
In a mixing bowl, add eggs and sugar. Mix well. Add butter (previously melted) and coconut milk, then cocoa powder. Mix well to produce a smooth mixture. Add vanilla extract and powder. Mix well, then add flour, mix again. Add almonds, baking powder and baking soda.
Butter a cake dish, add flour to coat all sides of the dish.
Pour mixture in buttered dish and cook in a pre-heated oven at 37-365F F for about 1 hour.
Let cool and serve.
- For the little hole – Oatmeal cookies with cashews and dark chocolate
- Grilled tofu and eggplant, brown rice noodles, sauté wild mushrooms, coconut curry émulsion, crispy dulse seaweed
- Coconut quinoa flans with mango, rum and mint salad
- Low calories and low sugar mini chocolate cakes with cocoa nibs and almonds
- So coconut – Coconut mini cakes
- Rockfish in coconut sauce, roasted yams, sauté greens with chili, garlic and lemon zest
- Brick stuffed with mango-peaches, lemon and lavender – coconut ice cream
- Breakfast and lunch – Chia pudding with coconut, pistachios and banana
- Best friends – Banana, chocolate and coconut rolls
- Fabulous almonds, part 2 – Almond cake