Someone suffocated the cod – Cod in parchment paper with zucchini, carrots and coconut milk with cauliflower purée
Quelqu’un a étouffé le cabillaud – Cabillaud en papillotte aux courgettes, carottes et lait de coco, avec purée de pomme de terres et chou fleur
I really love fish in parchment paper, it makes a beautiful presentation, it keeps the fish moist and very flavorful. When you open up the papillotte, you can smell all the wonderful aromas of the fish infused in spices.
Papillotte is the word that we use in French cuisine that describe a method of cooking and that means to wrap what you want to cook in a foil, either aluminum or parchment. There has been some discussions a little while ago that aluminum was bad to use in cooking and could cause some health problems, so many people are using parchment paper for papillotte instead.
The smooth cauliflower purée is a great accompaniment to the cod, it balances the spicyness of the dish. I added a few potatoes to the cauliflower to give it a smoother consistency et voilà, c’est prêt! You can enjoy and healthy dish, full of flavors and very low in calories.
Ingredients for 4
For the cod
- 4 cod fillet
- 2 carrots
- 2 zucchini
- about 10 cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp curry
- 4 tbs coconut milk
- 1 tbs olive oil
For the purée
- 1 large cauliflower head
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 tps olive oil
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- salt and pepper
Cut cauliflower into florets. Steam cauliflower and potatoes together. When cooked, mash them, add all other ingredients. Keep warm.
Shred carrots and zucchini. Slice the mushrooms. In a pan, heat olive oil, add onion and brown them. Add garlic, stir for a few minutes. Add curry powder and stir well to get the fragrance out. Add mushrooms, cook for about 5-7 minutes, then add shredded vegetables. Cook for only 1 minute or they will become very mushy. Add salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
Divide equally the curried vegetables and place in at the bottom of the parchment paper. Add cod fillet. Sprinkle with a little curry powder, 1 tbs of coconut milk, salt and pepper. Tight the parchment paper all around the fish so that no air would get inside. Repeat the same process for the other cod fillets.
Place cod in a dish and cook in a 375F pre-heated oven for about 25 minutes.
Open the parchment and serve on a plate with some cauliflower purée.
- Roasted celeriac with mung beans forestière fricassée and tarragon oil
- Weird translation – Vegetarian couscous with cauliflower “semoule”
- East-West – Zucchini and daikon carpaccio with roasted tomatoes and tarrragon coulis
- Encore vegan – Jeanette of wild mushrooms, cauliflower and garlic-herb paste
- More vegan – Layers of spaghetti squash with vegetables and tofu – polenta cakes with herbes de Provence
- Grilled tofu and eggplant, brown rice noodles, sauté wild mushrooms, coconut curry émulsion, crispy dulse seaweed
- Quick and simple – Yams tartine with greens, sardines and radishes, lemon-herb pesto
- Carrots, carrots and more carrots – Black lentils on carrot purée, roasted carrots, shave carrots and fried leeks
- Yams and zucchini mille feuilles, sauté tofu steak, wild mushrooms and tomato fondue
- A different kind of bourride – Bourride of monkfish, clams and shrimps