Don't confuse it with a pizza – Tatin with tomatoes, ricotta salata, goat cheese and basil
Ne pas confondre avec une pizza – Tarte tatin facon pizza aux tomates confites, ricotta, chèvre, lardons, basilic et moutarde
I really don’t like to throw food away…I had some leftover dough that I used to make the Tarpiz a few days ago and I thought it would be a shame to throw away that delicious and healthy dough, so I decided to make a tatin with it. Tatin in French refers to an upside down tart. The fruits or vegetables and first placed in the dish, then comes the dough that is placed on top. Usually people use either puff pastry or pâte brisée . In this case, I used the whole wheat and kamut dough, which is more similar to pizza dough and has a lot less fat in it. The thing is since it has some yeast in it, you need to make it thin or it will rise and get too thick.
Try to get really ripe, organic and meaty tomatoes. If you get regular tomatoes, they tend to be filled with water, and even after it’s cooked the tatin will be filled with water and soak its crust.
Ricotta salata, in Italian “salata” means “salty” (can be sometimes called “ricottone”) and it is basically regular ricotta to which salt has been added and has been left to dry for about one month. The drying process made ricotta lose half of its water. This ricotta can also be grated like regular cheese.
I just put one slice of bacon, but you can put more if you like it, I didn’t want the smoked flavor to be too powering.
Ingredients for 4
- 6 medium tomatoes, skinless and seedless
- 2 tbs of ricotta salata
- 2 tbs goat cheese
- 2 tbs basil
- 1 slice of bacon, diced
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
First prepare the tomatoes. Remove the skin by putting them in boiling water for a few seconds. Cut in half and remove the seeds. Add salt and pepper and place in the oven at 400F for about 15 minutes to dry them out.
Oil a deep dish. Place tomatoes in the dish, the side that has been cut should be face down. Make sure to tighten them closely, not to leave any space between them. Add cheeses cut in slices on top of tomatoes. Add bacon (previously diced and cooked in a pan), add basil, garlic, salt and pepper.
Spread the dough using a rolling pin. Make it into a thin layer. Make sure to make a larger circle than the dish containing the tomatoes. Spread mustard on top of the dough and place the dough with mustard side down, facing the tomatoes. You need to push the extra dough down, all around the edge of the dish.
Place tatin in a preheated oven at 375F for about 30 minutes or until the crust is golden.
Before removing from the dish, wait about 30 seconds. Then unmold upside down and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
This entry was posted by silvia on June 3, 2009 at 10:24 pm, and is filed under Appetizers, tarts and pizza. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0.You can leave a response or trackback from your own site.
- Some kind of salad niçoise
- Yams and zucchini mille feuilles, sauté tofu steak, wild mushrooms and tomato fondue
- No flour pizza – Cauliflower crust pizza with mushrooms, fontina, cherry tomatoes and basil
- When the sun is hiding – Broccoli, cumin and feta galettes, saute kale, butter bean avocado salad
- Stuffed portobello with vegetables goat cheese and basil
- Fresh corn polenta, wild mushrooms sauce with herbs and truffle oil
- One old and rustic pasta – Tuscan Pici with aglione sauce and artichokes
- Very cauliflower – Cauliflower steak with brown rice risotto, truffle oil, carrot purée and basil jus
- Mes petits choux – Prosciutto wrapped Brussels sprouts on mâche salad and roasted pepper vinaigrette
- We dressed up the beets – Beets stuffed with goat cheese, walnuts and garlic on a bed of kale vinaigrette
That looks great! very pretty photo too with the colorful flower!
This is summertime wonderful-ness to the TENTH POWER. I’m seriously kicking myself for not growing tomatoes this year. What a beautiful dish and I love anything that has goat cheese with it.
wow,so good!exactly my taste!
Looks great, and I agree about the leftovers!
This looks so beautiful. Very nice idea.
once again, flavors that are super clean and are super favs! The presentation is beautiful as well.