A little craving for quinoa – Spicy quinoa with asparagus, peas and carrots
Une petite envie de quinoa – Quinoa épicé aux asperges, pois et carottes
A little quinoa bowl is enough for a light dinner with a salad. Especially that today I did not have any energy whatsoever. Muggy and awfully grey weather, friends moving out of the Bay Area, is not helping with the blues.
It felt like the sky was falling on my head. That is a feeling I am very familiar with, since I grew up in the Eastern part of France, where everything is sooo green (soooo green, is what people say), obviously it’s so green because of the rain.
Gray weather + not wanting to spend to much time in the kitchen = quinoa
I mixed many vegetables to this quinoa so that one bowl would be nutritious enough as a meal. The spices gave it a nice kick, a little exotic flavor to it.
Ingredients for 4 as side dish
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1/3 cup peas
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbs mustard seeds
- 1 tbs cumin seeds
- 1 tbs coriander powder
- 4 cardamom pods
- 3 curry leaves
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
Chop the onions and brown in olive oil, add garlic, stir for a few minutes at low heat. Add the spices, mix well for a few minutes, then the carrot and the peas. Stir the mixture. Add quinoa, and cook for a few minutes with the mixture. Add broth, curry leaves, salt and pepper.
Cut the asparagus in one inch chunk and cook them the in salted boiling water, for 5 minutes or more, until cooked but still firm.
Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to very low, and cook for about 20 minutes until the quinoa has absorbed the water.
When quinoa is cooked, add asparagus and mix well. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve hot.
- À la va-vite -Tomato and chickpea soup with spices and saute tofu
- Roasted celeriac with mung beans forestière fricassée and tarragon oil
- Carrots, carrots and more carrots – Black lentils on carrot purée, roasted carrots, shave carrots and fried leeks
- Asparagus vichyssoise with fennel, asparagus, fennel and egg salad
- Like in Kyoto – Daikon steak
- Crumble of artichoke, yams and carrot purée, sauté kale and wild mushrooms
- Mediterranean tofu cakes with warm roasted pepper, eggplant salad and green olive tapenade
- Saffron quinoa galettes with herbs, butternut squash purée
- Salmon à l’unilatérale, cauliflower purée and warm Moroccan carrot salad
- Lentils and carrot mash with roasted butternut squash and tahini sauce