When you think you ran out of ideas – sauté spicy beef with carrots
Quand on pense qu’on n’a plus d’idées – Emincé de boeuf épicé aux carottes
I somehow like the combination of beef and carrots, the sweetness of the carrots blends quite well with the beef nutty taste, not that I am a big fan of beef nor any other meats but I don’t want to limit myself to cook only vegetarian food. I could but I like variety.
This beef has been marinated overnight with many spices and it’s now sauteed with carrots. You could use green beans as well, or any other vegetable that can remain crunchy.
I used a wok for the preparation and it’s the perfect utensil if you want to saute strips of meat, it cooks quickly without drying it and keeps its moisture. Those beef strips remained so tender, they are melting in your mouth. You can serve this dish with sesame rice noodles or coconut rice.
Ingredients for 2
- 1/2 lb sirloin beef, cut in thin strips
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 roma tomato, cut in quarters
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp fennugreek
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- one pinch chili powder
- 2 scallions
- salt and pepper
Cut beef in thin strips, place in a container with all the spices, onion, salt and pepper. Place in the refrigerator and marinate overnight or at east for 4 hours.
In a wok, heat some olive oil, and saute carrots and tomatoes. Mix well and set aside. Do not overcook the tomatoes, or they will get mushy.
Saute beef in small quantities in wok, adding a little olive oil if necessary. Add carrots, mix well and saute for a few more minutes. Add cilantro, and scallions at the end. Stir a little more and serve hot.
- Snapper or not snapper ? – Red snapper kebabs with orange and olive vinaigrette on fennel fondue
- Automn Leaves – Sunburst squash and leek soup with oregano and yogurt, warm roquefort tartine
- A taste from far away – Shrimps in a coconut colombo sauce on spiced vanilla basmati rice
- Just for fun – Zucchini flans with olives, feta and mint in a heirloom tomato vinaigrette
- I ate all the fishes in the ocean – Mahi mahi fillet and candied lemon with cardamom on saffron rice with wilted dandelions
- Are there still fishes in the sea? – Salmon tart with spinach, onions and dill on a black sesame seeds, chili and herb crust
- That’s not for Pépito! – Green tea, coconut, and almond bouchées
- Vegetables inside and out – Carrot tagliolini with zucchini-walnut pesto
- A close cousin has just arrived – Whole wheat orzotto with shrimps, sea scallops, fennel, radicchio and herbs
- A few mousses in a layer or two – Mascarpone mousse with raspberries and strawberry coulis imitation tiramisù