We want it curly and tasty – kamut spirals with olive pesto and grilled zucchini
La vogliamo riccia e saporita – Fusilli di kamut con pesto di olive e zucchine
Kamut is also called Khorasan wheat, it’s an ancient wheat and is a part of organic agriculture, its does not need any pesticides or chemicals to grow unlike regular wheat. It’s also very rich in protein, it contains about three time the size of regular durum wheat. So for those who need to have a gluten-free diet, this is not for them. This pasta cooks very quickly, about half the time of regular pasta, so watch out not to over cook it.
I haven’t cooked any pasta lately, the fun about pasta is to make it fresh, with all the wonderful flours we can find on the market. Instead of throwing away the old kitchen table, I put it on the patio just to be used as a pasta table. The thing is, I am surrounded by French people, and the French do not eat that much pasta, well certainly not as much as Italians do. Sometimes I miss the Italian crowd I used to be surrounded growing up.
Ingredients for 4
- 8 small zucchini, sliced
- 3/4 lb kamut spirals
- 2 tbs goat cheese
For the olive pesto
- 5 tbs olives
- 2 tbs parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbs walnuts
- 2 tbs capers
- 2 tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper
Grill the eggplants on a grill pan. Cut in two pieces if the slices are too big.
For the pesto, put all ingredients in a mixer, mix to a smooth consistency but not too fine, you want to be able to see small pieces of olivees and walnuts.
Bring water to a boil, add salt, and cook pasta for a few minutes. This pasta cooks very quickly so don’t let it boil too long.
In a bowl, add a few tablespoons of pesto, add drained pasta, and zucchini, mix well. In serving plate, serve pasta and add some goat cheese on top.
- Snapper or not snapper ? – Red snapper kebabs with orange and olive vinaigrette on fennel fondue
- Automn Leaves – Sunburst squash and leek soup with oregano and yogurt, warm roquefort tartine
- A taste from far away – Shrimps in a coconut colombo sauce on spiced vanilla basmati rice
- Just for fun – Zucchini flans with olives, feta and mint in a heirloom tomato vinaigrette
- I ate all the fishes in the ocean – Mahi mahi fillet and candied lemon with cardamom on saffron rice with wilted dandelions
- Are there still fishes in the sea? – Salmon tart with spinach, onions and dill on a black sesame seeds, chili and herb crust
- That’s not for Pépito! – Green tea, coconut, and almond bouchées
- Vegetables inside and out – Carrot tagliolini with zucchini-walnut pesto
- A close cousin has just arrived – Whole wheat orzotto with shrimps, sea scallops, fennel, radicchio and herbs
- A few mousses in a layer or two – Mascarpone mousse with raspberries and strawberry coulis imitation tiramisù