Tutti frutti – Caramelized pineapple with vanilla orange juice flamed with Rum and grilled brioche
Tutti Frutti – Ananas poêlé au jus d’orange, flambé au rhum et brioche grillée
I love to grill and cook fruits, and this pineapple is really a delicious dessert that goes perfectly when a dinner has been a little more substantial than usual. You can serve it with homemade vanilla ice cream or coconut ice cream and it turns into a wonderful and irresistible treat. I found some very interesting coconut ice cream with toasted sesame seeds and ginger that was really delicious from Ben and Jerry (I think – unless it was the other famous brand which I don’t remember) and it’s like a miracle with this pineapple.
I stopped at La Boulange today and got a brioche which I bought especially to be eaten for breakfast but I guess I could not wait until tomorrow. Their regular baguette is not that great, it becomes hard very quickly and the crust is never really crunchy as baguettes should be…but their pastries such as croissants, pains au chocolat or brioches are good. I like to serve grilled brioche with fruit based desserts, you can dip it in the juice of the fruits and they turn out to be refreshing and really something you can enjoy without worrying too much about calories. Even though brioche being heavy in butter, you might have to just stop at one slice.
The French like to flame (flamber) dishes with all kinds of hard liquor, whiskey, cognac, rum, etc…it’s a process that burns the alcohol and keeps the flavor. Watch out to not put your head on top of the flame.
Ingredients for 4
- 1 pineapple, sliced
- Juice of 2 oranges
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 star anise
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 2 tbs dark rum
- 4 slices brioche
- 1 tbs pistachios, chopped
In a pot, place juice of the two oranges, with 1 tsp honey, star anise and vanilla bean cut in half with beans removed. Let it boil slowly for a few minutes. Let it cool and rest for about 15 minutes.
Slice the pineapple 3/4 inch thick slices and cut out the peel. Melt butter in a pan, add the pineapple, brown both sides. Add sugar and let caramelized. Add the orange juice and let it cook until the orange juice reduces a little and becomes a little think. Add Rhum and flame.
Serve in a plate with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or coconut ice cream and sprinkle with chopped pistachios and one slice of grilled brioche.
- Snapper or not snapper ? – Red snapper kebabs with orange and olive vinaigrette on fennel fondue
- Automn Leaves – Sunburst squash and leek soup with oregano and yogurt, warm roquefort tartine
- A taste from far away – Shrimps in a coconut colombo sauce on spiced vanilla basmati rice
- Just for fun – Zucchini flans with olives, feta and mint in a heirloom tomato vinaigrette
- I ate all the fishes in the ocean – Mahi mahi fillet and candied lemon with cardamom on saffron rice with wilted dandelions
- Are there still fishes in the sea? – Salmon tart with spinach, onions and dill on a black sesame seeds, chili and herb crust
- That’s not for Pépito! – Green tea, coconut, and almond bouchées
- Vegetables inside and out – Carrot tagliolini with zucchini-walnut pesto
- A close cousin has just arrived – Whole wheat orzotto with shrimps, sea scallops, fennel, radicchio and herbs
- A few mousses in a layer or two – Mascarpone mousse with raspberries and strawberry coulis imitation tiramisù