Pink and pinkier – Red lentils and carrot purée with almond milk, ginger and spices
Rose et plus rose encore – Purée de lentilles corail et carottes épicee au lait d’amandes et gingembre
Deliciously smooth…I wanted to try making a purée with almond milk, which is lighter than coconut milk, and the light version has only 40 calories per serving. I found the regular almond milk to be too strong in flavor and does not taste great mixed with coffee besides it’s has more calories.
If you’re on a vegan diet, this is something that will leave you happy and fullfilled. Now vegan does not have to be boring and plain, it all depends on what you want to do with the ingredients and how crazy you want to be. I love vegan food, and will post more in that category. The great thing is that those beautiful red lentils cook very quickly, as quickly as the carrots so I mixed them together. In France we mainly use the small dark green lentils which are quite tasty but they have the skin on, so not great if you try to make a purée.
I topped it with eggplants, but I think that would taste really good with grilled zucchini as well or with any crunchy type of vegetable that will contrast with the smoothness of the purée. This could be used as a side dish or a complete meal.
Ingredients for 2
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1/3 lb red lentils
- 1 large eggplant, sliced
- 1/2 cup almond milk mixed with some water
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp chinese spices powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbs mint
- 1 tbs cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp, pistachios, chopped
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
Mix lentils and carrots in almond milk and water, add ginger, spices, salt and pepper and cook slowly until the lentils absorb the liquid.
Grill the eggplant in a grill pan or under the broiler (if under the broiler, sprinkle with olive oil). Place in a bowl and add garlic, cilantro, mint, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well. Serve with a few spoons of purée and top with eggplants, sprinkle with pistachios.
- Snapper or not snapper ? – Red snapper kebabs with orange and olive vinaigrette on fennel fondue
- Automn Leaves – Sunburst squash and leek soup with oregano and yogurt, warm roquefort tartine
- A taste from far away – Shrimps in a coconut colombo sauce on spiced vanilla basmati rice
- Just for fun – Zucchini flans with olives, feta and mint in a heirloom tomato vinaigrette
- I ate all the fishes in the ocean – Mahi mahi fillet and candied lemon with cardamom on saffron rice with wilted dandelions
- Are there still fishes in the sea? – Salmon tart with spinach, onions and dill on a black sesame seeds, chili and herb crust
- That’s not for Pépito! – Green tea, coconut, and almond bouchées
- Vegetables inside and out – Carrot tagliolini with zucchini-walnut pesto
- A close cousin has just arrived – Whole wheat orzotto with shrimps, sea scallops, fennel, radicchio and herbs
- A few mousses in a layer or two – Mascarpone mousse with raspberries and strawberry coulis imitation tiramisù