The well spiced bowl – Beef chermoula with rice noodles
Un petit bol bien épicé - Chermoula de boeuf aux nouilles de riz sautées
I love spices and all of them, and chermoula combines all my favorite herbs and spices, it’s an herb and spice mixture quite used in arabic countries mostly in what we call Maghreb which is comprised of Tunisia, Morocco and Algeria. Chermoula is often served with fish or grilled meats. There are so many different versions of chermoula as there are regions in the countries of Maghreb. You can use garlic or red onions, parsley, coriander, etc…it just has to do with a good balance of flavors.
Here we have a combination of rice noodles for the Asian touch with a middle eastern addition to it and it’s a quite balanced combination. I like the rice noodle texture, a little chewy and on the sweet side, goes perfectly with the chermoula smooth and herby texture.
Ingredients for 4
- 1 1/2 lb of beef filet (the most tender part) cut in thin slices
- 140 g rice noodles
- 60 g parsley
- 60 g cilantro
- 1 small red onion
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper
Put all spices, cilantro and parlsey in a mixer. Mix until all the ingredients are finely chopped. Add to the beef and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
Soak rice noodles in cold water for about 30 min.
In a pan, ad olive oil and saute the beef until cooked, but not overcooked. Remove the beef and place in a container.
Add the drained noodles to the pan and stir, cook until the noodles are cooked but still firm and add to the beef . Mix well. Serve hot.
- Snapper or not snapper ? – Red snapper kebabs with orange and olive vinaigrette on fennel fondue
- Automn Leaves – Sunburst squash and leek soup with oregano and yogurt, warm roquefort tartine
- A taste from far away – Shrimps in a coconut colombo sauce on spiced vanilla basmati rice
- Just for fun – Zucchini flans with olives, feta and mint in a heirloom tomato vinaigrette
- I ate all the fishes in the ocean – Mahi mahi fillet and candied lemon with cardamom on saffron rice with wilted dandelions
- Are there still fishes in the sea? – Salmon tart with spinach, onions and dill on a black sesame seeds, chili and herb crust
- That’s not for Pépito! – Green tea, coconut, and almond bouchées
- Vegetables inside and out – Carrot tagliolini with zucchini-walnut pesto
- A close cousin has just arrived – Whole wheat orzotto with shrimps, sea scallops, fennel, radicchio and herbs
- A few mousses in a layer or two – Mascarpone mousse with raspberries and strawberry coulis imitation tiramisù