The sexy blinis – Banana blini with quinoa flour, caramelized banana and whipped cream
Les blinis sexy – Blinis à la banane farine de quinoa, bananes caramelisées et crème fouettée
They’re sexy because they’re healthy…anything healthy is sexy to me. If you like quinoa you will like those blinis. I bought some quinoa flour yesterday at the Rainbow and wanted to make something healthy, quick and tasty with it because today I don’t have much time for making time consuming dishes. This is the perfect little sweet treat you that will make you feel great even after eating 7 or 8. They are so light that they’ll make you feel energized and absolutely not stuffed or heavy. Quinoa flour is very digestible and full of protein besides, there is no fat in the batter, so the only fat you’ll get is from the whipped cream, but it’s up to you to have any. Obviously you need to like bananas since it’s a double banana blini, inside and outside.
The traditional Russian blinis are made with buckwheat flour, and served with cream and caviar. I want to call those blinis too even if “technically” they might not be. They’re my sweet blinis.
Ingredients for 2 (maybe 3 depends on how many you eat)
- 2 bananas (leave 1/2 for caramelized)
- 1 egg
- 3 tbs plain yogurt
- 3 tbs quinoa flour
- 2 tbs wholewheat flour
- vanilla powder
- vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbs rhum
- 1 tsp butter
Start mashing the bananas (needs to be ripe) – leave 1/2 for caramelizing in butter and sugar. In a mixing bowl, add mashed banana, egg, sugar, yogurt, flours, vanilla, rum and baking powders and baking soda. Let it rest for the time you are whipping the cream, and caramelizing the bananas.
Melt butter in a pan and add slices of left banana (instead of 1/2 banana you can use 1), sprinkle with some sugar and let it caramelize.
To make the blinis, take a non-stick pan, and spoon one tbs of batter, try to make regular round blinis. The batter will start to bubble, at this point turn the blinis the other side and cook until golden brown.
Serve blinis with caramelized bananas on top and 1 tsp whipped cream.
- Snapper or not snapper ? – Red snapper kebabs with orange and olive vinaigrette on fennel fondue
- Automn Leaves – Sunburst squash and leek soup with oregano and yogurt, warm roquefort tartine
- A taste from far away – Shrimps in a coconut colombo sauce on spiced vanilla basmati rice
- Just for fun – Zucchini flans with olives, feta and mint in a heirloom tomato vinaigrette
- I ate all the fishes in the ocean – Mahi mahi fillet and candied lemon with cardamom on saffron rice with wilted dandelions
- Are there still fishes in the sea? – Salmon tart with spinach, onions and dill on a black sesame seeds, chili and herb crust
- That’s not for Pépito! – Green tea, coconut, and almond bouchées
- Vegetables inside and out – Carrot tagliolini with zucchini-walnut pesto
- A close cousin has just arrived – Whole wheat orzotto with shrimps, sea scallops, fennel, radicchio and herbs
- A few mousses in a layer or two – Mascarpone mousse with raspberries and strawberry coulis imitation tiramisù