In the world of pesto – Roasted red and orange bell pepper pesto
Nel mondo del pesto – Pesto ai pepperoni gialli e rossi e basilico
I can see that pesto is something quite popular in the US. The funny thing is that pesto being a “paste” originally from Genoa, in Liguria region…my parents being from Marche region, pesto is something that has never been part of my childhood. My mom’s cuisine was quite regional and I never had pesto while I was growing up. She made lots of different kinds of pasta dishes, risotto, seafood, but mainly specialties from their region. In France like in Italy people tend to stay regional in their eating habits.
Traditional pesto is great but I wanted to explore some other ingredients such as bell peppers. It’s quick, simple and most of all so flavorful.
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 40 g pine nuts
- 15 g walnuts, chopped
- One handful basil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 60 g parmigiano reggiano, grated
- salt and pepper
Roast the peppers in the oven using the broiler. When the peppers are well roasted on all sides. Remove, let it cool. Remove the peel and the seeds and cut in small pieces.
Wash basil and pat dry.
In a blender, place all ingredients and blend to a nice smooth consistency but not too thin.
Place in a jar and keep in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Snapper or not snapper ? – Red snapper kebabs with orange and olive vinaigrette on fennel fondue
- Automn Leaves – Sunburst squash and leek soup with oregano and yogurt, warm roquefort tartine
- A taste from far away – Shrimps in a coconut colombo sauce on spiced vanilla basmati rice
- Just for fun – Zucchini flans with olives, feta and mint in a heirloom tomato vinaigrette
- I ate all the fishes in the ocean – Mahi mahi fillet and candied lemon with cardamom on saffron rice with wilted dandelions
- Are there still fishes in the sea? – Salmon tart with spinach, onions and dill on a black sesame seeds, chili and herb crust
- That’s not for Pépito! – Green tea, coconut, and almond bouchées
- Vegetables inside and out – Carrot tagliolini with zucchini-walnut pesto
- A close cousin has just arrived – Whole wheat orzotto with shrimps, sea scallops, fennel, radicchio and herbs
- A few mousses in a layer or two – Mascarpone mousse with raspberries and strawberry coulis imitation tiramisù