The stuffy mushroom – Mushrooms stuffed with shrimps topped with pancetta, garlic and herbs
Champignons farcis aux crevettes, saint-jacques, pancetta et herbes
Mushrooms are so versatile to use and so low in calories, about 30 calories per 100 grams and most of all delicious in any shape and form. They’re also high in potassium and in fibers and to me anything that has lots of fibers, cannot be bad, right? This is a quick and simple recipe, that can be served as an appetizer with a simple green mache salad or also perfect for a buffet, as finger food. The mixture of the different herbs combined with the shrimps make those mushrooms very tasty and delicate.
Those were quite large cremini mushrooms about 6 cm in diameter, perfect for stuffing, I just didn’t want to cut them, they were to pretty to be sliced.
Ingredients for 6 large mushrooms serving about 2 people as an appetizer
- 6 large mushrooms (about 6 cm in diameter)
- 6 large shrimps
- 3 thin slices of pancetta, chopped
- 3 tbs breadcrumbs (plain)
- 1 tbs chives, chopped
- 1 tbs parsley, chopped
- 1 tbs green onion, chopped
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil + 1 tsp
- 2 small garlic cloves crushed
- Salt and pepper
If the peel of the mushrooms is thick enough to remove, peel the mushrooms. Also remove the stem and chop in small pieces. Then wash mushrooms and pat them dry. Add salt and pepper.
In a small pan, add 1 tsp olive oil, when oil is hot enough, add chopped mushroom stems, stir for 1 min or so, and set aside.
In the same pan, add pancetta and cook it for 1 min or so, set aside.
In a mixing bowl, add plain breadcrumbs, the mushroom stems and the pancetta. At this point, you can add the herbs, olive oil, salt and pepper – mix well.
Take the mushroom caps, add salt and pepper and place one shrimp on top of each cap. Add about 1tbs or more of the crumbs/herb mixture on top of shrimp, the shrimp needs to be well covered with the mixture. Place stuffed shrimps in a tray and cover with aluminum foil.
Heat the oven to 370F and put mushrooms in the oven for about 10 minutes, then remove the aluminum foil and let cook for another 10-15 minutes or until the mushrooms are cooked and the top is nicely browned.
Serve with a simple mache or frisee salad with raspberry vinaigrette.P
- Snapper or not snapper ? – Red snapper kebabs with orange and olive vinaigrette on fennel fondue
- Automn Leaves – Sunburst squash and leek soup with oregano and yogurt, warm roquefort tartine
- A taste from far away – Shrimps in a coconut colombo sauce on spiced vanilla basmati rice
- Just for fun – Zucchini flans with olives, feta and mint in a heirloom tomato vinaigrette
- I ate all the fishes in the ocean – Mahi mahi fillet and candied lemon with cardamom on saffron rice with wilted dandelions
- Are there still fishes in the sea? – Salmon tart with spinach, onions and dill on a black sesame seeds, chili and herb crust
- That’s not for Pépito! – Green tea, coconut, and almond bouchées
- Vegetables inside and out – Carrot tagliolini with zucchini-walnut pesto
- A close cousin has just arrived – Whole wheat orzotto with shrimps, sea scallops, fennel, radicchio and herbs
- A few mousses in a layer or two – Mascarpone mousse with raspberries and strawberry coulis imitation tiramisù